Friday, April 8, 2011

OUR OWN BACKYARD

By Mel Shulman
Ever feel like a good potato knish; like you loved up north? Oy Vay, when will there be a place like this in Jacksonville? There are so many restaurants in Jacksonville—McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut. But where can you get a good kosher meal? Not just “kosher style,” but a real kosher meal!
How about RIGHT NOW! My friends, say Shalom to Cafe Chabad.
“Cafe Chabad was started about a year ago to provide our Jewish community with good kosher food, after others have failed” says Shaul Robson, who, together with Rivkie Kahanov, oversees’ the Café. The food is not only delicious, it is reasonably priced so you can bring the whole family. Cafe Chabad is located at 10129 Haley Road in Mandarin. It is right behind Village Inn.
When I visited Cafe Chabad I was met by Rivkie who had a big beautiful smile on her face. And why not? She was surrounded by delicious food, with happy families enjoying it.
Rivkie asked me what I'd like to eat. I just asked her to put together something good for me. But I guess she didn't listen to me. What she put together was “GREAT”!
I first tasted the beef stir fry with rice. The beef was tender and tasty, the rice had a mild brown sauce. And then I looked at the Broccoli Quiche. Oy vay, my grandmother never made quiche! I didn't want to tell Rivkie this but: I don't like quiche! Besides, everyone knows “Real men don't eat quiche.” But this quiche looked different than all other quiches I've seen, so I gave it a try.
This quiche had texture and delicious flavor unlike the bland taste of other quiches. This was truly a quiche that real men would beg for and the rest of the family will love as well. The whole meal with a drink costs about $10. And there was so much food I had to take most of it home!
Another good thing about the Café is the social aspect. It was so nice to see that on a Tuesday night, in middle of the hectic week, families taking a break from their busy schedules to relax while schmoozing with friends who they have not seen in a while.
In fact, one of the strangest thing happened during my visit to the Cafe; you gotta here this one. So, I’m roaming around and noticed several people sitting at a table. Upon exchanging hellos, I learn that they’re all from out of town; Monte Shulman with his son Moshe and Lou Zana together with Fitch Perginini, were here visiting the Mayo Clinic.
In talking to them, it turns out that they were from California. Monte and Lou, it happens, were friends from way back when but haven’t seen each other in almost four decades. Would you believe that, unbeknownst to them, they would bump in to each other for the first time all these years, yes you said it, right here in Jacksonville, FL. at Café Chabad! Now, is that something or what?
The guests were very appreciative of the fact that they were able to have a kosher place to eat out while in Jacksonville. I asked them how they heard about this kosher eatery. The fellows told me that they saw it advertised on the website and called for information.
Cafe Chabad is now open every Tuesday from 5:30-8:00 PM, and alternates between Dairy and Meat. Besides dishes like Sesame Chicken with rice for the adults, there are hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids. And for people like me—yes, they have potato knishes, just like from up north.
“We want to provide members of the Jacksonville Jewish Community with a place to take their family out to eat great kosher food,” said Shaul Robson, who manages the place, “And so far the response has been very good.”
The only criticism I have of Cafe Chabad is that their website is outdated and lacks important information. For example, Cafe Chabad alternates each week between meat and dairy dishes and that they offer take out. You should call them at 262-6641 to find out what type of dishes are being offered. Rivkie did say their website will be updated soon; so hopefully you can view their fantastic, delicious menu online.
Whether you eat in or take out, you definitely must pay Cafe Chabad a visit. Never again will you complain about the lack of a good kosher restaurant in Jacksonville.

No comments:

Post a Comment